Fermented foods are considered functional foods due to their ability to increase the levels of several functional components, such as vitamins, peptides and antioxidant compounds. The living microbes generate new bio actives by modulating the gut microbiota. A healthy microbiome is believed to be important for immunity, cognitive functions, mood, and general health and wellness.
- The digestive tract is teeming with some 100 trillion bacteria and other microorganisms, says Dr David S. Ludwig, a professor of nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
- Research today is revealing the importance of a diverse and healthy intestinal microbiome (the microbial community in the gut) because it plays a role in fine-tuning the immune system and wards off damaging inflammation inside the body, which may lead to conditions ranging from obesity and diabetes to neurodegenerative diseases.
- “It’s a very exciting, dynamic area of research,” says Dr Ludwig.
- Lactobacilli isolated from fermented plant products, particularly kimchi, have antimicrobial properties due to the production of antimicrobial compounds during the fermentation process.
- These probiotic lactobacilli protect against pathogens such as Escherichia coli, Listeria monocytogenes, and Staphylococcus aureus.
How to make KIMCHI
Fermented Onions + Beans + Carrot
- Feast one’s eyes on gut-loving cloudy brine 😍
- Bubbles gone 🍾
- Fermenting Fairies transformed ⭐
- Ready for refrigeration. The tongue tasty flavour will continue to evolve 😛
- Harvested from our garden. Homegrown onions are incomparable! Fermented homegrown onions … take taste buds to sour Nirvana 😘
- The trouble is not planting enough.
Sliced onions + Native peppercorns and turmeric.
- Bottle, leaving space for bubbles.
- Cover with bok choy brine.
- Taste test at 2 weeks.
- Garden green beans, dill and capsicum in a bok choy brine.
- Aww a pickly snack or a 🥗 topper.
- Grate 4 cups of organic carrot (orange + yellow) 1 tablespoon grated ginger + 2 tablespoons Himalayan salt and massage until you have heaps of juice to cover the carrots – if you prefer you can make a brine.
- Leave for the fermenting fairies to do magic, at room temperature for 3 days.
- To please the palate of any carrot-loving bunny … add to a raw nut / kefir smoothie … with sprouted or activated pecan butter or 1 1/4 cups activated pecans, part of a Ploughman’s lunch or a Sunset Soup will make a delicious starter.
Ready to bolster your immune system?
With the colder months upon us, it’s a great time to think about herbal remedies to boost you and your family’s immunity. We show you how to make fire cider.