Good health is to a very large degree dependent on a well-functioning digestive tract. Healing your gut with the lost art of fermentation and bolstering your immune system.
“Ferment” meaning any agent or substance, such as a bacterium, mold, yeast, or enzyme causing fermentation.
Ferment comes from the Latin word “fermentare” meaning to leaven, ferment, from the word “fermentum” a substance causing fermentation, from the root word (original word) “fervere” to boil, seethe, or brew.”
The same origins as effervescence ….. to bubble, hiss, and foam as gas escapes
- give off bubbles of gas, as fermenting liquor
- to issue forth in bubbles.
- show enthusiasm, excitement, liveliness (aptly describes the fermented gifts that we make and the excitement that we share for them).
- Hey!! my fellow fermento’s Do you relate????
Do Probiotics Help Immune System?
Probiotics are living microorganisms, and you already have some of them in your body. Others come from food, specifically fermented foods such as yogurt, according to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH). Source
Have a dose of Immune boosting food
- VEGETABLE fermentation happens through an anaerobic system in which the naturally occurring lactobacilli of the food create lactic acid.
Probiotics & Immunity
- This acid then preserves the food because what is known as bad bacteria cannot exist in an acidic environment.
- The simple key to successful vegetable fermentation is to make sure your vegetables are submerged in liquid.
- That is it, the big secret.
- Typically, when fresh vegetables are chopped in preparation for fermentation -which creates greater surface area -salting pulls out the vegetable juices via osmosis, and massaging / pressing the vegetables breaks down cell walls to further release juices, so no additional water is required.
- Some veggies that cannot be coaxed to provide moisture require a brine.
- You can ferment any vegetable. Give your imagination free rein.
Immune Boosting Food
- Fermented veggies feel like wise old friends, rather than food!
- Probiotics can help provide immune enhancing benefits at all ages.
- It is never too early or too late to restore balance to your gut.
- It is never my intention to preach – what is right or wrong.
Are we really blessed with such wisdom?
After many years following many fads the answer is in our HEART.
- Choose food that we LOVE and in return LOVE us, and those foods that we LOVE to prepare without going to extremes.
- Life is Priceless but every day we put it at risk with unloving choices – build choices on LOVE through COMMUNICATION!! You are the only one who knows your own body.
- For our precious children – we cannot change the world, but we can change what we do in our own kitchen.
Have fun fermenting!
Love and bacteria, Xo, Lynnie